Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Home from Kenya.





  We just returned home yesterday from what undoubtedly was the most amazing experience of my life.  I don't know that I will ever be able to fully put into words the impact this trip made on me but I am forever changed by it.  
  The majority of our time in Nairobi was spent at a school in the slums of Kibera called Soweto Academy.  We spent a week loving, caring, teaching and serving about 500 students and a handful of teachers.  Most of these kids are orphans.  They are hungry. The only clothes they have are the tattered and torn uniform that they wear everyday.  I wanted so much to be a blessing to them, but in the end the blessing was abundantly mine.  In spite of their very grim circumstances, these kids showed us the truest picture of hope and joy I have ever seen.  They love God and they trust him day to day for their most basic needs.  They are eager to learn, so kind and very respectful. And grateful.  I love them so much!  We had many fascinating experiences during our time in Africa I plan to share, but our time with these precious kids was by far the most meaningful.  

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Denzel,Jules,& my G'girl Elli'Mae
It Blesses me sooo much to read your heart and see those pictures of those precious faces! What an amazing experience and divine appointment! Not a day went by that I didn't pray for you as you were being used as a vessel for "HIM".
Philipians 1:1-11 I thank God every time I remember you. In all my prayers for you, I always pray with joy because of your partnership in the gospel from the first day until now, being confident of this that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until, the day of Christ Jesus! It is right for me to feel this way about all of you, since I have you in my heart; and all of you share in God's grace with me. God can testify how I long for all of you with the affection of Christ Jesus. And this is my prayer; that your love may abound more and more in knowledge and depth of insight. so that you may be able to discern what is best and may be pure and blameless until the day of Christ. filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ...to the GLORY and PRAISE of GOD!
YOU ALL ARE THE BEST!LUV U MORE!:)

Verlane said...

WOW!! How awesome is our God to know the abundance of His Love would be shared by sending you to this field of thirsty believers...children who so trustingly looked to you for His affirmation of faith through your presence and acts of kindness. I am eager to hear more:)
In His Love,
Verlane

His8Heartz said...

DO NOT FORGET HOW THE LORD SPOKE TO YOU ON THIS TRIP! HE HAS CHANGED YOU FOREVER AND LET HIM USE THIS TO GROW YOU AND MOLD YOU MORE INTO HIS LIKENESS! HE HAS SHOWN YOU A SMALL PIECE OF HIMSELF IN AFRICA THAT NO WORDS CAN DESCRIBE! ACTS 26:16 ARISE JULIE, AND STAND ON YOUR FEET; FOR THIS PURPOSE I HAVE APPEARED TO YOU, TO APPOINT YOU A MINISTER AND A WITNESS NOT ONLY TO THE THINGS WHICH YOU HAVE SEEN(IN AFRICA) BUT ALSO TO THE THINGS IN WHICH I WILL APPEAR TO YOU...HE HAS MUCH MORE IN STORE FOR YOUR FAMILY AS YOU CONTINUE TO SERVE HIM WITH YOUR WHOLE HEART, MIND, AND STRENGTH!! HIS LOVE IS AMAZING!

His8Heartz said...

DO NOT FORGET HOW THE LORD SPOKE TO YOU ON THIS TRIP! HE HAS CHANGED YOU FOREVER AND LET HIM USE THIS TO GROW YOU AND MOLD YOU MORE INTO HIS LIKENESS! HE HAS SHOWN YOU A SMALL PIECE OF HIMSELF IN AFRICA THAT NO WORDS CAN DESCRIBE! ACTS 26:16 ARISE JULIE, AND STAND ON YOUR FEET; FOR THIS PURPOSE I HAVE APPEARED TO YOU, TO APPOINT YOU A MINISTER AND A WITNESS NOT ONLY TO THE THINGS WHICH YOU HAVE SEEN(IN AFRICA) BUT ALSO TO THE THINGS IN WHICH I WILL APPEAR TO YOU...HE HAS MUCH MORE IN STORE FOR YOUR FAMILY AS YOU CONTINUE TO SERVE HIM WITH YOUR WHOLE HEART, MIND, AND STRENGTH!! HIS LOVE IS AMAZING!

His8Heartz said...

sorry, i left that twice :) looking forward to seeing you soon!

Rebeccah said...

Hi!
I just got back from teaching in Rwanda and Uganda!!! Your friend Greg Hawthorn... who is then in turn MY friend... gave me your blog :)
sounds like you and I had a really similar experience and its soo good to see someone who is passionate about the same things i am!
:)
Becca